Have you recently been involved in a car accident and are unsure of where to turn for help? Do you want to pursue legal action or receive a settlement from the driver that’s at fault? If so, then you need to hire a good car accident attorney.
Doing so can help give you the support that you need throughout this process. They can help you build your case, compile evidence, and give you instructions to follow to a “T”.
However, it’s all about finding the right one. See below for an in-depth list of questions that you should ask a car accident attorney to make sure you find the right fit for your needs.
1. Do You Specialize in Auto Accident Cases?
More often than not, car accident cases fall under the umbrella of a personal injury case, which is a very broad term.
If you merely search for a personal injury lawyer, then you might not be getting someone that has much experience with car accident cases. Personal injury could also apply to things like workplace accidents, dog bites, slip and falls, etc.
Make sure to ask the attorneys that you speak to whether or not they specialize in auto accident cases. If they say they don’t—or they avoid answering when you ask them—then search for someone else.
Hiring an experienced auto accident lawyer is essential to your case. That way, you have a lawyer who has an extensive network and resources in the industry.
You can also ask questions similar to this one such as:
- How many auto accident cases have you represented in the past?
- What is your experience like?
- What separates you from other auto accident lawyers in town?
- Why are you the best car accident attorney around?
- How long have you practiced personal injury in my state?
2. Should I Pursue This Case?
Perhaps you’re wondering if you should pursue the case in the first place. You want to make sure that the attorney you hire truly believes that you should pursue legal action for your car accident.
If they don’t fully believe that you should go after compensation, then they won’t give it their all. If they do, then they will exhaust every option to build your case and reach the settlement amount that you’re looking for.
Here are a few of the signs that you have grounds for an auto accident case:
- The car accident was due to the negligence or fault of another party.
- You have suffered significant injuries as a result of the crash.
- Your medical bills continue to pile up with recovery and rehabilitation.
- Your car has significant damage, repairs that need to be made, or was completely totaled in the wreck.
- You’re losing out on hours at work due to the injuries you’ve suffered from the crash, which is affecting your family’s financial situation.
Use these circumstances to fuel your case. Reach out to an auto accident attorney and explain the accident, as well as the pain and financial burden you’re experiencing as a result of it.
3. How Long Do You Think the Settlement Will Take?
Did you know that settlements can take up to 2 years to reach a settlement that two sides agree on? The at-fault party’s insurance company won’t willingly give up the compensation you’re after. You’ll have to fight for it.
That said, if an auto accident attorney has experience, they can give a rough estimate of how long they think your settlement will take.
This depends on a number of factors, such as:
- The compensation amount that you’re after
- The situation that led to the auto accident
- The insurance company that you’re trying to settle with (some are more penny-pinching than others)
- The amount of evidence that you have
The list goes on and on. While you wait to settle, you might be concerned about how to cover your medical expenses in the short term. Be sure to apply for pre-settlement funding to cover those costs.
4. What Damages Do You Think I Should Be Compensated for?
Tell the auto accident attorney that you’re speaking with the entire story of your crash. Tell them about what led to the accident, what you saw from your end, the injuries you have, the damages that were done, everything.
After you’ve laid it all out there, ask them what damages that they think you should be compensated for.
This could be things such as personal injury, medical fees, car repairs, lost income, emotional stress, long-term disability, and so on. This will help you figure out how much compensation you should be looking for.
5. What Is Your Success Rate at Trial?
Even though you may hope it doesn’t come to that, you always want to find an attorney that prepares for the case to go to trial.
They’ll do everything in their power to settle before that happens. But you’d rather have a lawyer that’s prepared rather than being caught off-guard.
If you come across an auto accident lawyer that’s guaranteeing you a settlement, then run for the hills. There’s no way they can guarantee the actions of insurance companies, which are often unpredictable to begin with.
Hire a Car Accident Attorney to Build Your Case
Now that you have seen several different questions to ask any car accident attorney that you speak with, it’s time to find the right one to represent you.
Start by looking at online reviews to find the best one in your area. Look for someone with a strong background of success.
Be sure to browse our website for more articles on how to find a great lawyer, as well as many other helpful topics that you will enjoy.